Monday, September 27, 2010

Another Week, Another Adventure

Thursday (9/23)


USIU was insane because the Americans ended up getting into semi blow-ups with the professors in both of my classes. Our African Authors professor said that individualist societies have a higher level of consciousness than collectivist societies (which Americans loudly objected to), and then the Sustainable Resource Management professor said we’ll be graded on quantity over quality in our term paper, which he doesn’t have a concrete grading scheme for. In class the Kenyan students nod their heads and agree with whatever the professors say, while the American students ask questions and assert themselves. This ends up making the majority of Americans in each class look rude and inappropriate, but none of us are willing to sacrifice our grades to appease the teachers.

Saturday (9/25)

I had a wonderful daytrip to Hell’s Gate National Park with Courtney and David today. We left around 6am to take the various matatus to Naivasha, the place we’d had orientation. It felt so good to be in a familiar place! Plus, it was refreshing to be in a town where no one spoke English, and I got to practice my Swahili more.

David and Courtney

We rented bikes and were so psyched until we realized that the bike trails were actually all hilly and buried in sand. But it was a beautiful day in the mid-70s, and most the time there was no one else in sight. My favorite part was riding through the bottom of cliffs as zebras grazed on both sides.


At one point half a dozen zebras leapt across our path to get to the other side- it was an incredible feeling to be within feet of the beautiful animals.
 
 
We also saw gazelles, warthogs, and water buffaloes, plus breath-taking scenery. Paul called me and the poor reception prevented us from talking much, but it was great to hear his voice and know he’s doing well.

Courtney, David, and I laughed the entire day, through the sandstorms and sore muscles, and especially when a brake wire on my bike snapped and locked the back tire into place (right after Courtney had said something bad had to happen to me, since I was so smiley). David dragged my bike back to the main road while I flagged down a motorist to help us out. As soon as we started up again I was like, “See? Nothing can go wrong today!” Suddenly a huge sandstorm engulfed us. I careened off the trail since I couldn’t see and had no brakes. David’s hat flew off and hit Courtney in the face, who blindly thought it was a bird and had a minor freak-out. Events continued like this throughout the day, even into the bus-ride home.


the volcano in Naivasha

I’d sweet-talked the guards into arranging a matatu for us to go straight back to Nairobi from the park. It eventually arrived and we were psyched to have our own private bus- until it dumped us in the Naivasha center (where I’d taken my first matatu during orientation) and packed us into an overcrowded bus. Oops. As I went to sit down I stepped right on a large hen lying on the bus floor (it shrieked and everyone looked at me like I was strange). I crammed next to a woman who then placed her newborn’s head on my lap while she nursed it- and then for the next two hours I was afraid to move an inch, since whenever we’d go over huge potholes I was the only thing supporting its neck. Courtney ended up sitting next to a “nice man” who offered her a twig-like “candy.” Assuming it was like sugar cane, she got excited and tried it. Were we surprised to find out it was an addictive stimulant illegal in most countries? Not at all.

Monday (9/27)

Today I went to my internship in Kawangware. I worked in the school all day, had tea (aka delicious chai milk with loads of sugar) for over an hour in the school office, and then I spent the afternoon teaching Spanish to one of the teachers and helping a visiting group from DC pass out pen-pal letters from American students. It was great to talk with the group, and they even gave me a ride home afterwards. This evening I received a call from a coworker at the school, who just wanted to call and say thank you. I’m realizing the value of making friends at the internship, instead of focusing on solely the work being done.

I got my produce from the slum today- three bananas, six carrots, two tomatoes, an onion, and a green pepper, for about 50¢. I mixed it all up with beans for dinner and have enough for at least two more meals. I’m beginning to feel very comfortable and in sync here, although I miss being able to talk to everyone from home! But at least I got to talk to my boyfriend and big brother this week :)





No comments:

Post a Comment