Sunday, September 12, 2010

Giraffe Center


Today I went with some friends to the Giraffe Center near Karen (the town developed from the Out of Africa woman). It took a two-hour commute using matatus and buses to get there, but it was definitely worth it. Apparantly Westerners strictly use taxis and private vehicles to get there instead of using local transportation, so people were really impressed that we didn't go that route. It was strange walking through the small town with everyone staring at our skin color, and then entering the Giraffe Center where 95% of the people were white tourists with safari vests on.

There were about three grown giraffes and a baby one hanging out by this structure to get fed by tourists (it's easy to see how ridiculous tourists act now that we're "residents").



That's the giraffe's tongue slobbering all over me! I found out that giraffes have a built-in SPF in their tongues so they don't get burned when they munch on tree tops. The giraffes were really calm because they were brought to the center as orphans or rescues...but they were also really slobbery :) 

The motto there was "Feed for Friendship," as in, we have to feed the giraffes for them to be happy and cooperate with us. Otherwise they begin to head-but, which is what this giraffe was doing to me.



After we took these pics we took a "nature walk" through the habitat, where we had to make sure we didn't scare the giraffes and warthogs (or get in their way). We treked through rocky terrain and up empty riverbeds for about an hour before heading home via more buses and matatus.

Tomorrow I start my externship in the Kawangare slum- I still need to figure out how to catch the matatu from here to there by myself. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Julia! This looks so awesome! Those Giraffes are really cute :D Im really glad to hear you're having a good time and keeping busy. Send me your address on facebook so I can send you a letter or postcard -I miss you a lot!!! Good Luck with everything :)
    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete