Tuesday, November 23, 2010

November Adventures


This month has flown by- I've been keeping really busy with my internship (overseeing projects to develop a children's library (thanks for the support!) and build a bridge in the slum). Plus, classes at USIU have been frustrating. It's been really stressful lately, and I've had a few really upsetting confrontations with professors that try to bully us into accepting their low standards. But I LOVE my Swahili class, and I'm starting to get the courage to use the stuff I've learned.
---

So after last month's fiasco, I decided to go to another soccer game. I'm glad I did because it was a really positive experience. The only problem was afterwards, when a mob of angry fans started charging the bus I was on, throwing rocks and stuff at the windows. The mob mentality is by far the worst thing I've encountered in Nairobi. But I'm viewing it as a positive experience, since it was exposure to a new perspective of urban life (plus, the season ended, so don't worry, Mom!).

During the Gor Mahia game- they placed 2nd this year



Because of all the responsibilities and stress we've been feeling (plus, everyone else leaves in less than a month), AU Abroad organized a weekend retreat for us. We headed to Castle Forest Lodge on Mt. Kenya, which was the most gorgeous, relaxing experience so far. Even though the first day it rained and then I got sick, it was such a good weekend. We spent the first rainy evening in the main lodge playing dominoes and enjoying home-cooked Kenyan food.

The cows behind my cottage (Mt. Kenya is in the background)

The moment I got food poisening lol

The second day (Sun, Nov. 21) I was feeling slightly better so I joined the group for a nature hike through the tropical forest. We walked through elephant tracks, learned about the Kikuyu legends (Mt. Kenya is a central aspect of their traditional religion), and ended up at the site of an elephant skelton.

Victor and the elephant skull that was just lying on the ground. I wasn't paying attention, so he tried to put it on my head first, but I shrieked when I saw the decaying underpart of it!

After lunch, Courtney and I hiked down to the waterfall. We ended up climbing through forest like this. Doesn't it look incredible!!


But no matter what, I still miss Bunyore!

No comments:

Post a Comment